home > library > local history bibliography


A Bibliography of County Longford based on the collection of books and journals in the Local Studies Department of Longford County Library


The following list of books, journals, pamphlets, theses and articles are all accessible through the Local Studies Department of Longford County Library. The aim of this list is to assist and encourage any reader/researcher who would like to find out more about the county or would be interested in engaging in further research on any aspect of Longford’s history. All items listed have been categorized under a number of subject headings. In some  instances we have given more than one entry to important titles as the subject matter was relevant to more than one heading. A large number of items included in this list are unpublished or are now out of print.


1. County History

Historical notes and stories of the County Longford: James P. Farrell, Dollard Printing House, Dublin, 1886.

History of the County Longford: James P. Farrell, Dollard Printing House, Dublin, 1891.

Longford: essays in county history: edited by Raymond Gillespie and Gerard Moran, Lilliput Press, Dublin, 1991.

The Journal of the Ardagh and Clonmacnoise Antiquarian Society, 1926-51 (12 editions), James Duffy & Co., Dublin.

Teathbha: Journal of the County Longford Historical Society, 1969, 1971, 1973, 1978, 1980, 1983, 1992, 1997, 2006, 2007, 2008.

Ordnance Survey of the county of Longford 1836-37, parish name books, numbers 1-25.

Letters containing information relative to the antiquities of the County Longford collected during the progress of the Ordnance Survey in 1837: John O’Donovan and others; reproduced under the direction of Rev. Michael O’Flanagan, 1927.

Place-names of the County Longford: Fr Joseph MacGivney, James Duffy and Co., Dublin, 1908.

County Longford and the Irish Revolution 1910-1923: Marie Coleman, Irish Academic Press, Dublin, 2003.
The history of flax and linen in Co. Longford 1698-1998: Paddy Egan, County Longford Historical Society, Longford, 1998.
Longford women’s voices - a social history of women in Co. Longford in the twentieth century: edited by Ann Donohoe, Longford I.C.A., Longford, 2007.
Times past in pictures - a millenium celebration of Co. Longford in photographs, vol. 1: County Longford Historical Society, Longford, 1999.
Times past in pictures - a millenium celebration of Co Longford in photographs, vol. 11: County Longford Historical Society, Longford, 2005.
Fireside tales from around Longford town and county - a collection of stories from tape recordings: edited by Jude Flynn, volumes 1-7, Longford, 2003-2009. 
Century of memories - St. Joseph’s Temperance Hall, Longford: centenary celebration, 2005: Temperance Hall Committee, Longford, 2005.
The Co. Longford almanac and directory, 1892: compiled by William Gilleland, W.J. Alley and Co., Dublin, 1891.
Longford year books, 1928, 1929, 1930, 1931, 1940: T. M. McManus, Longford.
The territory and people of Tethba: Margaret E. Dobbs (series of articles originally published in the Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 1938-42).
The O’Farrells of Annaly: the transformation of a late medieval lordship in early modern Ireland: Neil Thomas John Farrell (M.Litt. thesis, N.U.I. Maynooth, 2008).
Longford I.C.A. - looking back over 60 Years 1939-1999: edited by Margot Gearty and Joy Burns, Longford I.C.A., Longford, 2000.
Irisleabhar na feise 1944 - a record of Gaelic activities in County Longford containing articles on history and topics of interest relevant to this county: edited by Sean Ó Muireadhaigh, Longford, 1944.
75 years of Longford 1897-1972: The Longford Leader, Longford, 1972.
50 years of Longford – ‘A history in the making’: The Longford News, Longford, 1986.
A century of Longford life -The Longford Leader, 1897-1997: The Longford Leader, Longford 1997.
The Census of Ireland for the year 1851: Part 1. Showing the area, population and number of houses by townlands and electoral divisions: County of Longford.  Her Majesty’s Stationery Office, Dublin, 1852.
The Census of Ireland for the year 1861: Part 1. Showing the area, population and number of houses by townlands and electoral divisions: County of Longford. Her Majesty’s Stationery Office, Dublin, 1863.
The Census of Ireland, 1871: Part 1. Showing the area, houses and population as well as the ages, civil condition, occupations, birthplaces, religion and education of the people: County of Longford, Her Majesty’s Stationery Office, Dublin, 1873.
A short history of the Royal Longford Militia 1793-1893: Henry Alexander Richey, Hodges Figgis and Co., Dublin, 1894.
The struggle for Catholic Emancipation in County Longford 1824-1829: a paper read to the County Longford Historical Society, 10 March 1977 by Fergus O’Ferrall (typescript).
Some notes on the high sheriffs of Co. Longford 1701-1800: Edward Stewart Gray (originally published in The Irish Genealogist, ii, no. 1, 1943).
A bibliography of County Longford in printed sources: Celine Murray (thesis presented to the Library Association of Ireland, 1961).


2. Genealogy/Family History
In search of Longford roots - a guide to tracing your ancestors in County Longford: Gerry Brady, Longford, 1987.
County Longford residents prior to the famine - a transcription and complete index of the tithe applotment books of County Longford, Ireland (1823-1835): Guy A. Rymsza, Dome Shadow Press, Indiana, 2004.
County Longford survivors of the Great Famine - a complete index to Griffith’s primary valuation of Co. Longford (1854): David Leahy, Derryvrin Press, Limerick, 1996.
County Longford and its people - an index to the 1901 census for County Longford: David Leahy, Flyleaf Press, Dublin, 1990
County Longford graveyard inventory - an action of the County Longford Heritage Plan 2004-2009: Jimmy Lennon, Longford Heritage Office, Longford, 2005.
Exploring family origins and old Longford town: Harry Farrell, The Longford Leader, Longford, 1986, reprinted 1990.
Local Defence Force (Co. Longford) - listing of active members (1940s): transcribed from the original records by Jimmy Lennon (typescript) 1996.
Index to Ardagh wills - supplement to The Irish Ancestor, 1971: The Irish Ancestor, Dublin, 1971.
Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards in the County of Longford 1876 and owners of seats in the County of Longford 1912 (typescript).
Inscriptions from Granardkille graveyard, n.d. (typescript).
Tombstone inscriptions from Ballymacormack Church of Ireland cemetery: compiled by Luke Baxter, n.d. (typescript).
Kilcommoc graveyard inscriptions: compiled by Foróige club, Kenagh, n.d.
Resting in peace in Old Killoe: The Killoe Development Group, Longford, 1999.
Record of inscriptions on all the tombstones erected before Dec. 1990 in Corboy graveyard: recorded and prepared by Arthur Allen, 1990 (typescript).
Inscriptions from churches and graveyards in Dromard R.C. parish: compiled by North Longford Community Development Association, 1995 (typescript).
Inscriptions from churches and graveyards in Colmcille R.C. parish: compiled by North Longford Community Development Association, n.d. (typescript).
Inscriptions from churches and graveyards in Abbeylara R.C. parish: compiled by North Longford Community Development Association, n.d. (typescript).
Inscriptions from churches and graveyards in Drumlish R.C. parish: compiled by North Longford Community Development Association, 1995 (typescript).
Inscriptions from churches and graveyards in Ballinamuck R.C. parish (sic): compiled by North Longford Community Development Association, 1995 (typescript).
 ‘Speculum Gregis of the parish of Killashee 1847’ - containing details of Church of Ireland families in the parish in late 1846 and at the beginning of 1849: Rev. James M.H. Strangeways (curate) (copy).
From page and stone - ancestral records of Moydow, Co. Longford: compiled by Luke Baxter, Moydow Cemeteries Committee in association with the County Longford Historical Society, Longford, 1999.
History of the Ferralls Uí Fearghaill and American genealogy: Russell B. Ferrall, Winconsin, U.S.A., 1981.
History of the O’Ferrall Shaen families of Ireland, England and the United States 1500-1994: Robert S. Riley, McDowell Publications, Utica, Kentucky, 1994.
Farrell clan - a brief history: compiled by Hugh Farrell with the assistance of Farrell Clan Research Committee, Longford, 1993.
County Longford’s Farrell Clan newsletter, 1999, 2003, 2006: The Farrell Clan, Longford.
O’Ferrall martyrs 1652: a paper read to the County Longford Historical Society, 28 March 1996, by Fr Hugh Fenning O.P. (typescript).
A genealogical study of the landowners of the civil parish of Colmcille, Co. Longford 1640-1900: Margaret Fox (project for the College Certificate in Genealogy/Family History, U.C.D., 2001).

The Clintons of County Longford, a paper read to the County Longford Historical Society by David Leahy, 2005 (typescript).
The Wilson family 1650-1930: Eileen Reilly (B.A. thesis, St Patrick’s College, Maynooth, 1990).


3. Parish/Local History
Irish Historic Towns Atlas no. 22 - Longford: Sarah Gearty, Martin Morris and Fergus O’Ferrall, Royal Irish Academy, Dublin, 2010.

Index to parish of Templemichael map and surrounding townlands: prepared by Breege Cassidy, Longford, 1983 (typescript).
Guardians of the flame - a millennium memoir of the Longford parish of Templemichael and Ballymacormack: the Faith and Mission History Committee, Longford, 2000.
Stonepark School, Ballymacormack parish -100 years and beyond: the Centenary Committee, Longford, 1993.
Mosstown House and estate: project by Christine O’Brien, Gráinne Flynn and Marion Dennigan, Scoil Mhuire, Longford 1988 (copy).
10 years on - the Ring Dong road, mo scéal féin: Paddy Egan, Longford, 1998.
Kenagh clock tower 1878-2000 - millennium book: edited by Paddy
Egan, Kenagh District Development Association, Longford, 2000.
Kilcommoc and its people - souvenir booklet to mark the solemn blessing and dedication of the new church of St. Dominic, July 12, 1981: edited by Paddy Egan, Longford, 1981.
Ballymahon and its people: Paddy Whelan (edited by Jimmy Casey), published posthumously by his executors, Longford 2001.
Ballymahon Agricultural Show Society: eighth annual show, 10 September 1958, catalogue.
Newcastle - a childhood memory: Eleanor Thwaites, privately published, n.d.
A walk through Fostra - its past, its people and its heritage: Sean Farrell, Cardinal Press, Maynooth, 1995.
Album and memorandum of the parish of the two abbeys, Abbeyshrule and Abbeydearg and of the two Sineachs, Taghshinny and Taghshinod and of Carrickedmond’s Gleann na h-Altóra, 1142-1942: Rev. Edward O’Reilly, Longford, 1942.
From the well of St Patrick: Dromard parish, Co. Longford: James P. MacNerney, St Mel’s Diocesan Trust and Dromard History Group, Longford, 2000.
KilIoe - history of a County Longford parish: Fr Owen Devaney, Diocese of Ardagh and Clonmacnoise, Longford, 1981.
A survey of source-material for the history of St. Mary’s parish, Granard, Co. Longford: 1850-1968: Fr Francis Kelly (project presented in partial fulfilment of the requirements for the M.A. in Local History, St Patrick’s College, Maynooth, 1994).
St. Mary’s parish, Granard, Co. Longford, 1933-1968: Fr Francis Kelly (M.A. thesis, St. Patrick’s College, Maynooth, 1995).
Window on a Catholic parish - St Mary’s, Granard, Co. Longford, 1933-68: Rev Francis Kelly: Maynooth Studies in Local History, number 8, Irish Academic Press, Dublin, 1996
Granard - its history, our heritage: edited by Joy Burns and Bernadette Grier, Granard Guild I.C.A., Longford, 1987
Granard Bazaar 1926: souvenir programme of a week of varied and unrivalled attractions at the town of the Moat.
Antiquities of the Granard area: edited by Patrick O’Donovan, Granard Area Action Group, Longford, 2003.
Granard’s standing stones: Stephen Warrilow, Longford, 1998.
A short history of the Land War in Drumlish in 1881: by an Irish priest [Fr Thomas Conefrey], James Duffy and Co., Dublin, 1892.
Drumlish down the years - a faith history of the parish of Drumlish and Ballinamuck: Drumlish Parish Council, Longford, 2001.
Drumlish Land War centenary 1881-1981 - commemorative booklet:
Land War Centenary Committee, Longford, 1981.
The Battle of Ballinamuck - a study in the dynamics of oral tradition: Maureen O’Rourke Murphy (Ph.D. thesis, Indiana University, 1970).
Souvenir booklet, Ballinamuck commemoration, 1983.
Ballinamuck bi-centenary 1798-1998: edited by Padraig Rehill, Ballinamuck Bi-Centenary Committee, Longford, 1998.
Record of the Ballinamuck bi-centenary commemoration 1798-1998: Ballinamuck Bi-centenary Committee, Longford, 1999.
The Battle of Ballinamuck - a traditional history: by James O’Neill of Crowdrummin and edited by Sean Ó Brádaigh, Longford, n.d.
Traditions of 1798 - the Battle of Ballinamuck by Patrick Gill: edited by Pádraig Mac Gréine, Longford, n.d.
Rathcline - pathways to the past: edited by Sean Cahill and Jimmy Casey, Rathcline Heritage Society, Longford, 1995.
Lanesborough-Ballyleague - a living history 1939-1955: John Casey, Rathcline Heritage Society, Longford, 2003.
Abbeyderg 1206-2006 A.D. - a brief history of the Augustinian monastery at Abbeyderg to mark the eight hundredth anniversary of its establishment in 1206: Paddy Egan, Longford, 2006.
Edgeworthstown - parish of Mostrim, ó theach go teach 1901-2000: Mostrim Heritage and Historical Society, Longford, 2003.
Edgeworthstown - myths and memories, seo is súid: Mostrim Heritage and Historical Society, Longford, 2007.

Tenelick - cradled in a gentle sweep of the Inny river along the banks of the Royal Canal: Michael P. Esler, Tenelick Publishing, Longford, 1987.
Scrabby and Colmcille East (Lough Gowna and Mullinalaghta) - a history: Edward J. Canon Boylan, Diocese of Ardagh and Clonmacnois, Longford, 1992.
The Lough Gowna valley: Frank Columb, Gasan Academic Publishing Company, Oxford, 2002.
Gowna valley revisited: Tom Murtagh and John Carthy, Longford, 2003.
To the four winds - famine times in north Longford: John and Seamus Mimnagh, Mullingar, 1997.
Cill Eó - the church of the yew: our faith story: Kathleen Morgan, Killoe Parish Pastoral Council, Longford, 2000.
Ardagh, Longford - its ancient and present glory, an historical essay: John Monahan, Sealy, Bryers and Walker, Dublin, 1901.
Ardagh, County Longford: where the past is present for the future: Richard Whittern (project completed for the Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Building Repair and Conservation, U.C.D., 2005).
A path through Colmcille: Owen Denneny, Longford, 2008.
The parish of Clonguish - its people and its culture: Patrick J. Murphy, Clonguish Parish Pastoral Council, 2008.
Clonbroney with Ballinalee - a local history: edited by Ann Donohoe, Ballinalee Guild I.C.A., Longford, 1997.
The history of Clonbroney: lectures given by Francis Canon Gilfillan, parish priest of Granard: 1982 and 1983 (typescript).
Saint’s Island: Ciarán O’Hanlon (project in partial fulfilment of the requirements for the B.A. in Local Studies, N.U.I., Maynooth, 2009).
Barry and its neighbourhood: Ciarán O’Hanlon (B.A. thesis, N.U.I. Maynooth, 2009).
Cashel of the hills: Seamus Ó Cathasaigh, Longford, 1985.
Mullinalaghta’s faces and places: compiled by Columba McCole, Longford, 1994.
Abbeyshrule Royal Canal Amenity Group - official opening of the new slipway and amenity area at Abbeyshrule harbour on 9 June 1996: souvenir programme.
Lough Ree and its islands: Sean Cahill, Gearoid O’Brien and Jimmy Casey, Three Counties Press, Athlone, 2006.
The shooting of More O’Ferrall: Frank Columb, Evod Academic Publishing Company, Cambridge, 1996.
Lanesborough through the lens: John Casey (project for the College Diploma in Local History, St Patrick’s College, Maynooth, 1997).
Foxhall estate, Co. Longford: John Greene, Legan, 1925 (copy).
Ledwithstown House, Ballymahon: Michael Feeney, project, n.d. (copy).
Irish patent rolls of James 1 - Longford references and index: prepared by Breege Cassidy, Longford, 1983.
Registry of criminal proceedings at petty sessions, Ballymahon, Co. Longford, 1842: transcribed from the original by Jimmy Lennon, 1996 (typescript).
By-laws, rules and regulations for the government of the county of Longford gaol, at Longford, made by the board of superintendents, 4 June 1870, Browne and Nolan, Dublin, 1873 (copy).


4. Religion/Ecclesiastical History
History of the diocese of Ardagh: Bishop James J. MacNamee, Browne and Nolan Limited, Dublin, 1954.
Records relating to the dioceses of Ardagh and Clonmacnoise: John Canon Monahan, Gill and Son, Dublin, 1886.
Ardagh and Clonmacnois - footprints of Mel and Ciarán: Fr Owen Devaney, Booklink, Ireland, 2005.
The Journal of the Ardagh and Clonmacnoise Antiquarian Society, 1926-51 (12 editions), James Duffy & Co., Dublin.
Clergy of Kilmore, Elphin and Ardagh: biographical succession lists. Compiled by Canon J.B. Leslie and revised, edited and updated by Canon D.W.T. Crooks: Ulster Historical Foundation and the Diocesan Council, Kilmore, Elphin and Ardagh, 2008.

Diocese of Ardagh and Clonmacnois: index of clergy 1836-1980 (typescript).
Parish totals from religious census of Ardagh and Kilmore dioceses, 1766 (copy).
Methodism in Co. Longford since 1750: Edwin McCormack, An Cúilín Publications, Longford, 1995.
Cashel jubilee 2000 – faith, vocation, mission: edited by Jimmy Casey, Longford, 2000.
To do your will - the life and priesthood of Father Tommy O’Reilly: edited by James P. MacNerney, Longford, 2009.
History of the Kilcommock church and cemetery – ‘Where priests and parsons lie’: edited by Paddy Egan, Kilcommock Preservation Committee, Longford, 1997.
History of St Matthew’s church, Ballymahon: Paddy Whelan, Longford, 1985.
Centenary of St. Mel’s Cathedral 1840-1940: compiled by Fr Michael Kearney, Longford, 1940.
150 years of St. Mel’s Cathedral Longford 1840-1990 - souvenir booklet: compiled by the Communications Group, pastoral council of Templemichael Parish, Longford, 1990.
Souvenir brochure of the blessing of the new altar and sanctuary, St. Mel’s Cathedral, Longford by Most Rev. Cathal B. Daly D.D., bishop of Ardagh and Clonmacnois, July 17 1977: Longford 1977.
St. Brigid’s Church, Ardagh-St. Mel, centenary souvenir 1881-1981: Longford, 1981.
Fr. Joseph Mullooly O.P. and San Clemente - commemorating the sesquicentenary of the excavations under the Basilica of San Clemente, Rome 1857-2007: Sean Cahill and Jimmy Casey, Three Counties Press, Longford, 2007.
Holy Trinity Church, Ballinalee - rededication in June 1995, souvenir booklet: Clonbroney Pastoral Council, Longford, 1995.

Clergy of Ardagh and Clonmacnois in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries - some reflections and conclusions: Fr Francis Kelly (project presented in partial fulfilment of the requirements for the degree of M.A. in Local History, St Patrick’s College, Maynooth, 1995).


5. Education
Primary schools in County Longford 1800-2000: Jimmy Casey, John Carthy and Sean Cahill, Longford, 2000.

Longford and the world from an educational viewpoint: notes for a lecture delivered to the County Longford Historical Society, 1982, by Dominic O’Laoghaire, chairman of the Higher Educational Authority (typescript).
Notes on primary education Granard and vicinity 1800-1870: Patrick Kennedy, 1980 (typescript).

Saint Christopher’s: developing day services for mentally handicapped children in Co. Longford - the first crucial years (1964- 1975): Sylvia Dawson, Longford, 1999.
The Latin School - a history of St. Mary’s Apostolic School, Moyne: Edward Canon Boylan and Fr Francis Gray, Diocese of Ardagh and Clonmacnoise, Longford, 1979.
St. Mel’s of Longford - a history 1865-1990: Eugene McGee, St Mel’s Diocesan Trust, Longford, 1996.
Cloontagh school - céad bliain ag fás: Cloontagh School Centenary Committee, Longford, 1995.
Clonback National School, 1898-1973: Dermot Daly, Longford, 1994.
Convent of Mercy, Longford 1861-1961, centenary souvenir booklet: Longford, 1961.
The old schoolhouse, Tullyvrane, Lanesborough, Co. Longford: Joe Farrell, edited by Mary Fleming and James Brunt, 2006 (typescript).
St. Mary’s National School, Molly, 1884-1973: edited by Genevieve Reilly, Longford, 2006.
Ballymahon Vocational School - official opening, new extension: 1980.
St. Colmcille’s National School, Pulladoey (1892-1973 - reunion social 21 August, 1994), souvenir booklet: Eugene McGee, Longford, 1994.
St Therese’s National School silver jubilee, 1971-1996 - 25th anniversary souvenir booklet: Longford, 1996.
St Mel’s College Longford -The Chimes 2001-2003: Jim Waldron and St. Mel’s Magazine Committee, Longford, 2003.
Kenagh National School - souvenir booklet to mark the opening of Kenagh’s new school 9 September 1992: edited by Paddy Egan, Longford, 1992.
Kenagh National School - centenary booklet 1898-1998, Longford 1998.
Lanesborough Primary School - Scoil Mhuire gan Smál, 50 years in education 1958-2008: edited by Jimmy Casey, Lanesborough Primary School, Longford, 2008.
St. Joseph’s Convent Longford - golden jubilee 1861-1911, souvenir booklet: Longford, 1911.
The Mercy journey - from Baggot Street to Ballymahon 1872-2008: Ballymahon Local History Group, Longford, 2008.
Aughnagarron fare thee well - memories of our school days 1949-1999: edited by Brid Donohoe and Kitty Hughes, Longford, 1999.
Moyne Community School 1974-1999, silver jubilee magazine: Longford 1999.
Scoil Náisiúnta na Géige - a short history and memories: edited by Padraig Rehill, Longford, 1992.
Stonepark school - Ballymacormack parish - 100 years and beyond: the Centenary Committee, Longford, 1993.
Mercy Secondary School, Ballymahon - Gazette 2000: compiled by transition year students, Mercy Secondary School, Ballymahon, 2000.
An Bhainis: 21 Meitheamh 1922 - Stonepark National School All-Ireland winning project, Longford, 2005.
History of St. Joseph’s National School, Longford: academic project by Annmarie Galvin, no details (copy).
Moving forward from here: post-primary outcomes for young travellers in County Longford: research conducted by Karen O’Shea and Mary Daly on behalf of Longford Traveller Movement, Longford, 2005.
6. Sport

Commóradh an chéid C.L.C.G. Chontae Longfoirt 1887-1987: compiled by the History Committee of Co. Longford G.A.A. and edited by Sean Ó Corcora, Longford, 1987.
County Longford G.A.A. - a history 1980-2005: Coiste Chontae An Longfoirt C.L.C.G., Longford, 2006.
Fr. Manning Gaels G.F.C. - 25 year history, 1984-2008: compiled by Frank McNamee et al, Father Manning G.F.C., Longford, 2008.
The life and times of Fr. Seán Manning, a Gaelic leader: Des Guckian, Longford, 1979.
Clonguish G.A.A. club, Co. Longford - official opening of park and complex Sunday 3 June 1984: Longford News, 1984.
The story of Saint Patrick’s G.A.A. club, Ardagh, 1889-1984: J.J. Trautt et al, Longford News, 1984.
Cumann Lúthchleas Gael Craobh Colm Cille - oscailt oifigiúil Páirc an tAthair Mac Aodha, 29 Lúnasa 1982: clár cuimhneacháin, 1982.
Scéal club Colmcille - Colmcille’s G.A.A. story, the first hundred years: Seán Ó Suilleabháin, Colmcille G.A.A. Club, Longford, 1984.
Killoe minor football club 1975-1980: souvenir pictorial.
Legan Sarsfields 1890-1990 - official opening of the new playing complex, Lúnasa, 1990: souvenir booklet.
The story of Granard G.A.A. 1884-1984: Padraig Ó Scannláin, Longford, 1984.
Longford G.A.A. yearbook 1979: edited by Des Guckian, Coiste Chontae An Longfoirt, C.L.C.G., 1979.
Longford G.A.A. yearbook 1980-1981: edited by Mícheál Mac a’Bhaird, Coiste Chontae an Longfoirt, C.L.C.G., 1981.
Cumann Lúith-Chleas Gael Caonach - official opening of James McGann Memorial Park on Sunday, 1 October, 1978: souvenir programme, Kenagh Club, Longford, 1978.
Cumann Lúth Chleas Gael Caonach, 1884-1984 - centenary souvenir booklet: Tommy Flanagan, William Mulvihill and Paddy Egan, Longford, 1984.
The G.A.A in Kenagh: one hundred years of history 1889-1989: Paddy Egan, Tommy Flanagan and William Mulvihill, Longford, 1989.

7.  Biography/autobiography
Longford authors - a biographical and bibliographical dictionary: Sean Ó Suilleabháin, Longford/Westmeath Joint Library Committee, Mullingar, 1978.
Michael Casey, sculptor: the John Keegan Casey Society, Longford, 2004.
Sister Calasanctius remembers: Sister Calasanctius, The Longford Leader, 2001.
A family on the Shannon - the Flemings of Richmond Harbour, County Longford, Ireland: Shirley McGlynn, Australia, 1994.
‘Tell Me Shawn O’Farrell’ - the life and work of John Keegan Casey 1846-1870: Sean Cahill and Jimmy Casey, the John Keegan Casey Society, Longford, 2002.
Jasper O’Farrell - surveyor, farmer and politico: Geoffrey P. Mawn (M.A. thesis, University of San Francisco, 1970).
Man of the people -the intimate story of the hero of Ballinalee: John Mageean, Dublin, 1945.
The Seán Mac Eoin story: Padraic O’Farrell, The Mercier Press, Cork, 1981.
The Blacksmith of Ballinalee - Sean Mac Eoin: Padraic O’Farrell, Uisneach Press, Mullingar, 1993.
In great haste - the letters of Michael Collins and Kitty Kiernan: edited by Leon Ó Broin, Gill and Macmillan, Dublin, 1983.
Death on Holy Thursday - the shooting of John Carthy in Abbeylara: Ciarán Mullooly, Blackwater Press, Dublin, 2006.
In search of John - the Abbeylara story of depression, loss and a sister’s quest for justice: Marie Carthy, Hodder Headline, Dublin, 2007.
Ireland, my Ireland - memories from the heartland: Arnold J. Meagher, Publish America, Baltimore, 2003.
Rising out: Seán Connolly of Longford by Ernie O’Malley: edited by Cormac K.H. O’Malley, U.C.D. Press, Dublin, 2007.
Ruairí Ó Brádaigh - the life and politics of an Irish revolutionary: Robert W. White, Indiana University Press, Bloomington, 2006.
Chicago May - queen of the blackmailers: Frank Columb, Evod Academic Publishing Company, Cambridge, 1999.
Memories: Dolmen Fáilte Group, Longford, 1997.
Robert Dunlop (MC) of Clough, County Antrim: reminiscences of a northern boyhood, followed by service in County Longford and County Kildare, before retirement in Belfast - with foreword by David Dunlop and addenda by William Henry Dunlop, Kevin J. O’Hagan and Harry Hume: edited by Eull Dunlop, Mid-Antrim Historical Group, Antrim, n.d.

8.  Archaeology
Ordnance Survey of the county of Longford 1836-37, parish name books, numbers 1-25.

Letters containing information relative to the antiquities of the County Longford collected during the progress of the Ordnance Survey in 1837: O’Donovan and others: reproduced under the direction of Rev. Michael O’Flanagan, 1927.
Trackways through time - archaeological investigations on Irish bog roads, 1985-1989: Barry Raftery, Headline Publishing, Dublin, 1990.
A pre-Ordnance Survey cartographic analysis of the archaeological landscape of the barony of Granard, Co. Longford: Sarah Clare Gearty (M.A. thesis, U.C.D., 1996).
Antiquities of the Granard area: edited by Patrick O’Donovan, Granard Area Action Group, Longford, 2003.
Granard’s standing stones: Stephen Warrilow, Longford, 1998.
Record of monuments and places as established under section 12 of the National Monuments (Amendment) Act 1994: County Longford: issued by the Commissioners of Public Works in Ireland, National Monuments and Historic Properties Service, Dublin, 1996.
Survey of the raised bogs of County Longford: Aonghus Moloney, Irish Archaeological Wetland Unit, U.C.D., transactions, volume 1, Crannóg Press, Dublin, 1993.
Trackway excavations in the Mountdillon bogs, Co. Longford 1985-1991: Barry Raftery, Irish Archaeological Wetland Unit, U.C.D., transactions volume 3, Crannóg Publications, Dublin, 1996.
Index to the forts of County Longford: prepared by Kathleen Gaffney, Olive McCarthy and Concepta Yorke: ANCO/County Longford Historical Society, 1983.
Holy wells of County Longford: ANCO/County Longford Historical Society, 1983.
An industrial archaeological survey of the Ballymahon mills complex, County Longford: Colin Rynne, for Frank Kelly Construction Ltd., 1999.
The Redevelopment of Richmond Mills, Clondra, Co. Longford: industrial heritage assessment: Fred Hammond, 2000.
9. Environment
Environmental impact statement for the visitor centre in Corlea Bog, Co. Longford: Anthony M. O’Neill, architects, town planners and landscape architects, Dublin, 1992.
A long lived wilderness: the future of the North Midlands peatland network: John Feehan, Department of Environmental Resource Management in the Faculty of Agri-Food and the Environment at UCD, in association with The National Wetlands Wilderness Park Committee, Dublin, 2004.
Peatlands study of County Longford: The Heritage Council, Dublin, 2006.
Survey of selected bridges as bat habitats in County Longford: The Heritage Council, Dublin, 2008.
10. Politics

County Longford and the Irish Revolution: 1910-1923: Marie Coleman, Irish Academic Press, Dublin, 2003.
Man of the people - the intimate story of the hero of Ballinalee: John Mageean, Dublin, 1945.
The Seán Mac Eoin story: Padraic O’Farrell, The Mercier Press, Cork, 1981.
The Blacksmith of Ballinalee - Sean Mac Eoin: Padraic O’Farrell, Uisneach Press, Mullingar, 1993.
Rising out - Seán Connolly of Longford by Ernie O’Malley: edited by Cormac K.H. O’Malley, U.C. D. Press, Dublin, 2007.
Ruairí Ó Brádaigh - the life and politics of an Irish Revolutionary: Robert W. White, Indiana University Press, Bloomington, 2006.
Parliamentary returns - 1830-1880: constituencies of the Counties of Longford and Westmeath: Colman Moloney (no other details given).
The Longford Parliament Proposal: Lorcán Ó hUiginn, Esperanto Services, Ottawa, 1980.
The minutes of evidence taken before the committee on the Longford County Election petitions: ordered by The House of Commons, to be printed, 1837.
Minutes of proceedings of the committee on the Longford election petition: ordered by the House of Commons, to be printed, 1842.
11.  Folklore/folklife
Folklore from County Longford: compiled by Cait NI Bhradaigh, Granard, n.d.
Some cures and piseogs from the wee folk of Granard: a project for the Irish Life Folklore Competition from the first year pupils of the Vocational School, Granard, Co. Longford, 1976.
A collection of cures, remedies and miscellany: Ennybegs I.C.A., Longford, 2003.
Customs and beliefs of times past collected from people in Co. Longford: Maureen Mulryan, Longford, n.d. (typescript).
12. Architecture
An introduction to the architectural heritage of County Longford: Dept. of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government, Dublin, 2010
North Leinster - the Counties of Longford, Louth, Meath and Westmeath: Christine Casey and Alistair Rowan, Penguin, Dublin, 1993.
The bridges of County Longford - an inventory of civil engineering heritage: recorded and compiled by Lotts Architecture and Urbanism for Longford County Council with the support of the Heritage Council, Dublin, 2007.
13. N.U.I. Certificate in Local History projects (presented to N.U.I. Maynooth in completion of courses hosted by Longford County Library)
The establishment of the national education system in the Catholic parish of Ballymachugh, County Cavan 1831-51: Bernadette Brady, 2003.
The Bonds’ estate, Killoe 1730-1960: Kathleen Caherly, 2003.
The parish of Kilcommoc 1789-1854: Breege Cassidy, 2003.
Water-powered mills in the parish of Clonbroney, barony of Granard, County Longford 1681-1974: Bernadette Clancy, 2003.
The Sisters of Mercy in County Longford 1861-2000: Catherine L. Donohoe, 2003.
Lislea townland - continuity and change, 1834-2003: Con Donohoe, 2003.
Changes in the Protestant community in Longford during the years 1900-70: Joan Columba McGarry, 2003.
Melview National School 1856-1966: Patricia McNally, 2003.
The Ancient Order of Hibernians Board of Erin-Friendly Society: Killoe A.O.H. Division 375, 1908-18: Catherine Morgan, 2003.
The life and times of Bishop Hoare: Maureen Mulryan, 2003.
Barry: Ciarán O’Hanlon, 2003.
Esker townland, County Longford: Mary Tynan, 2003.
The landed O’Beirne family of Jamestown, County Leitrim: Mary Butler, 2005.
Estates in Doory in times past: Mary Dinnegan, 2005.
The lost village of Bunlahy 1834-1911: Madeline Ann Donohoe, 2005.
An island in the bog: continuity and change in the townland of Derrylough: Mary T. Gerety, 2005.
Joseph Ward V.C.: John Healy, 2005.
Technical instruction in County Longford 1899-1932: John Hughes, 2005.
The Longford branch of the Royal Canal, 1830-45: Stephanie Igoe, 2005.
The Big Wind of 1839 from a County Longford perspective: Ann Mulligan, 2005.
Republican women in Longford 1917-22: Laura Shaw, 2005.
The townland of Clooneen, County Longford in the nineteenth Century: John O’Beirne, 2005.

 

 


 

site map | disclaimer